An independent provider is a self-employed person who provides services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Independent providers must be certified by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
- Independent providers provider services directly; they cannot employ someone else to provide services on their behalf.
Step 1: Independent Provider Orientation
Just take this 10-minute orientation and you are on your way to joining the Summit County team of providers! This is required before you can apply for certification.
Step 2: What you need to become certified
You will need proof of the following to become certified:
- Verification of age: All provider applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma/GED: Except for persons who held provider certification or who were employed by a certified agency provider on September 30, 2009
- State Identification: Valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification
- Social Security Card: A copy will be required with your application
Need a new, corrected or replacement card? Some businesses offer Social Security name changes or cards for a fee. Social Security provides those services and more for free.
- Current report from the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCII): Summit DD can assist you in finding local organizations that offer BCII and FBI criminal background checks. Contact us to for help.
Find more organizations that offer Web Check on the Ohio Attorney Generals’ website.
- First Aid Certification: Valid American Red Cross or equivalent certification in First Aid
In-person training required,find an American Red Cross First Aid training near you.
- CPR Certification: Valid American Red Cross or equivalent certification in CPR
In-person training required, find an American Red Cross CPR training near you.
- Provider Initial Certification Training: Evidence of completion of the required eight hour initial provider training
This may include a certificate provided upon completion of all eight hours of Initial Provider training.
Step 3 : Apply for Certification
You will need to create a user account with DODD and complete and on-line application form.
We understand that the certification process can be overwhelming and are here to help. Check out our hand frequently asked questions and if you still have questions contact us.